Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pakistan doesn't find any natural pacer after Shoaib: Wasim

Pakistan has produced many a legendary pacer but according to Shoaib Akhtar the 'pace-mine' has delivered its last 'diamond' in him as he does not see any natural pacer emerging in his country after him.

The beleaguered fast bowler said Pakistan had given the world cricket great pacers in all these years but he fears the time has come to see a full stop.

"Apart from Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younus there have been many fast bowlers previously. But how many diamonds can you retrieve from one single mine, there has to be an end somewhere. I feel that I don't see any natural fast bowler after me," Akhtar said in a BBC chat show.

He said his quest of creating a distinct identity for himself was instrumental in his becoming the fastest bowler in the world.

"I have always believed that I should do something that will give me a distinct identity. I used to feel that I could become a faster bowler than Wasim Akram and Waqar Younus.

"Maybe not a better bowler, but faster, yes. I had made up my mind that I would bowl the fastest ball in the 1999 World Cup," he said.

Akhtar maintains that a player needs to be managed well to extract maximum out of him.

"Look, it's very difficult for any player to consistently perform well. I feel that a good management can help win more matches by making better use of any player whenever there is a need.

"You don't use your Ferrari to drive to work everyday, it is a weekend car. To tell you the truth it's equally important for the management to be efficient," he said.

No comments: