Thursday, July 10, 2008

Clarke has faith in CA

Acting Australian captain Michael Clarke will place his trust in Cricket Australia and security experts as a decision on whether the world champions should visit strife-torn Pakistan looms.

Pakistan is due to host the ICC Champions Trophy tournament in September amid grave fears over player safety after another spate of violence in the troubled republic.

New Zealand and England have joined with Australia in voicing their concerns.

Australia pulled out of its planned tour to Pakistan earlier this year following several suicide bombings.

A cautious Clarke, who replaced the injured Ricky Ponting and led Australia to victory in its final two limited overs matches on the tour of West Indies, will await further advice before committing to Pakistan.

"I think there will be (a bit of talk) over the next few weeks but we'll wait and see what the ICC, Cricket Australia and the ACA (Australian Cricketers' Association) come up with it and we'll go from there," Clarke said upon arrival in Sydney on Thursday.

"We've got six weeks off now and I'll spend that time listening to the ACA, Cricket Australia and the ICC and then I'll make my own decision."

"I think the right thing is happening. We're sending (security) people that actually have knowledge and understanding of what's happening in Pakistan."

"For me to sit here and make a decision is like you walking out and opening the batting for Australia."

"I'm not qualified to do that. I think we have to believe in the ACA, Cricket Australia and the ICC (and) their decision."

"We're putting in process all the right steps to make the right decision for cricket in general."

Should Australia participate, the Champions Trophy begins a hectic and testing 15-month schedule.

The Aussies host South Africa and New Zealand this summer before embarking on tours to India and finally the Ashes defence in England.

"I think it's a huge 15 months for Australian cricket," Clarke said.

"It's what we all want to play international cricket for - to play against the best."

"South Africa are playing really good cricket at the moment. India in India is always very tough and then the Ashes."

"The next 15 months we have some really tough cricket in both forms of the game coming up so we're going to find out where we sit in both forms."

"I believe we're off to a great start with this new generation, new era."

"It's going to be great for the game and the boys are looking forward to it."

As for captaining Australia in Ponting's absence, Clarke said: "I've obviously enjoyed the last couple of games."

"I am very lucky - I'm captaining a great team."

"It's been a fantastic opportunity for me but I think everybody in this room plus the whole of Australia knows who our skipper is."

No comments: