Monday, July 21, 2008

AB Sets The Record Straight On `Catch`

AB de Villiers has sought to set the record straight over his first-day slip 'catch' in the second Test against England at Headingley.

The South African claimed to have caught Andrew Strauss but replays showed the ball to have hit the ground and the batsman was given not out by the third umpire.

Speaking at tonight's press conference, De Villiers said: "This is the truth and nothing but the truth.

"The ball hit my right hand and went straight into my left - and I was pretty sure that I took the catch.

"But I went straight to my captain and told him, 'Listen, I'm not 100% sure. What shall we do about this?'

"I saw a bit of grass on my left 'pinky'. He said, 'No worries, we don't have to go anywhere. The umpires are better referring it to the third umpire'.

"There was no way in this world I was going to let Straussy walk off the field without telling the umpires I wasn't sure.

"The captain said, 'It's no bother - there's nothing you can do'.

"I'm not a guy who could go to bed at night knowing a batsman wasn't out and had to walk off the field."

No comments: